The Pierre Area Charitable Organization, or PACO, honored citizens, groups and organizations in the Capital City area Wednesday that have stepped up and contributed time, monies, equipment, and talents to help others. Twenty-five different individuals, businesses and organizations received the 2017The Good People, Good Causes award. Those people and groups were nominated by Feeding South Dakota, The Right Turn, Inc. Oahe Child Development Center, Boys and Girls Club of The Capital Area, The Pierre Youth Orchestra, Capital Area United Way, Central South Dakota Child Assessment Center, Capital Area Counseling Service, and Dakota Horse Stars Therapeutic Riding Center.
PACO also honored the Outstanding Youth Volunteer—Kaylee Becker
Outstanding Volunteer Award—Shawn, Stephanie, and Michael Lyons
Volunteer Fundraiser—Helmsley Center Steering Committee, chaired by Karl and Joan Adam
Outstanding Philanthropists—Twyla and Dr. Ken Bartholomew.
During the luncheon, PACO stressed that volunteers are what help a community grow, what works to make it better, along with guiding the community and organizations to a brighter future. A full list of Good People, Good Cause winners can be found below.
• Beck Motor Company, and Oahe Presbyterian Church, nominated by Feeding South.
• Dakota, Angel, Deseree, Celina, Aurora, and Josiah Corrales, along with Daniel, Jesse and Hannah Gates, as well as Jason, Rebecca, Sarah and William Hancock, nominated by The Right Turn, Inc.
• Jason Gunderson as well as Colleen Weiss, nominated by Oahe Child Development Center.
• Mansour Karim, Dr. Tad Perry and Mary Turner, nominated by Boys and Girls Club of The Capital Area.
• Meredith Lee, nominated by The Pierre Youth Orchestra.
• Laura Mehlhaff, and Dayna Hepper nominated by Capital Area United Way.
• Denise Richards, nominated by Central South Dakota Child Assessment Center.
• Elle Holley, nominated by Capital Area Counseling Service.
• Brittany Roth, nominated by Dakota Horse Stars Therapeutic Riding Center.