History of KCCR-AM, KLXS-FM and KCCR-FM.

Then…

KCCR first aired on February 4, 1959 in a studio located over the Harding Ford Garage, near the present-day site of the First National Bank on West Sioux Avenue in Pierre, South Dakota.

Now…

Known as Capitol City Radio, KCCR-AM is now located at 106 West Capital Avenue. It’s a tradition for passers-by to stop and listen for a few minutes and wave to the DJ, visible through a large window situated parallel to the street.

For 34 years, Sorenson Broadcasting owned and operated KCCR-AM/KLXS-FM until 2006 when NRG Media became the stations’ operator. Early in 2008, KCCR-AM/KLXS-FM joined the Riverfront Broadcasting group of stations owned by South Dakota natives, Carolyn and Doyle Becker, making KCCR-AM and KLXS-FM the only locally owned stations in the Pierre market.

Country 95.3 signed on April 6th, 1981 with the call letters KNEY.  The call letters changed to its current designation KLXS-FM on April 29, 1988.  Over the years the format has changed from a variety hits format to its current format (July 3, 2012) of hot country.  The branding of the station has changed over the years from KS95, Bob FM, Jack FM to what it’s currently known as, Country 95.3

KCCR-FM signed on June 13, 2014.  Known as Capital City Rock 104.5, it plays an active rock format not found anywhere else in central South Dakota.