PIERRE, S.D. – The Pierre Swim Team (PST) won the Mitchell Aquatic Club’s Invitational swim meet this weekend with a team score of 6002.5 points. This is the fourth year that the meet was held at the Pierre YMCA pool as the Mitchell indoor aquatic center is currently under construction.
PST had 104 members swim in the meet and several swimmers stood out.
Ella Ward-Zeller set a new PST record in the girls 100 yard butterfly, swimming a time of 1:03.13, eclipsing the old record of 1:05.30, swam by Rachel Hartmann in 2009. Ward-Zeller also won six out of seven races.
Aidan Burke and Trevor Rounds both had a clean sweep during the meet. They swam personal bests, State qualifying times and National Age Group Motivational Times in all of their races with Burke carding a 2nd, three 3rd and one 4th place finish, and Rounds winning a 2nd, a 3rd and two 4th place finishes among their accomplishments.
A few of the other standout swimmers included:
- Jaycee Bauer – Three 1st, one 2nd and two 3rd place finishes in the girls 9-10 division
- Presley Frost – 1st, 2nd 3rd and a 4th in the girls 8 and under division
- Ava Lavinger – Two 1st and three 2nd in the girls 8 and under division
- Alyssa Low – 2nd place in the 100 breaststroke, girls 8 and under division
- Mason Dell – Four 1st, two 2nd and a 4th place finish, boys 11-12 division
- Jagger Gardner – 3rd and 4th in the boys 8 and under division
- Lathan Rounds – Two 1st, Two 3rd, a 4th and a 5th in the boys 8 and under division
- Charlie Simpson – 1st, 2nd, two 3rds and a 4th in the boys 11-12 division
The MAC meet has a preliminary and finals format for 13 year and older swimmers, giving all the swimmers a different time frame between races.
Pierre looks to continue their momentum with a December 8th meet in Rapid City and a December 15 meet in Sioux Falls, before their Christmas break.